CONTROL YOUR HUMAN DESIRE
With Pastor Godfrey Wippon
The world is full of all sorts of reasons why things are important or necessary. It also has a view on things which are less than important or things which it considers are of little value.
Societies’ views are generally based on the things in life which supposedly bring peace and happiness and yet the world is in the mess it has ever been in since man has been on the planet.
Television and other forms of media present life in a certain way it generates desires in people. They desire to conform to certain images of success. This succeeds in generating desires, but rarely fulfills them.
Look at all the misery and problems in the world … whose desires are being satisfied?
God offers a better solution and warns us about having desires which can never be fulfilled.
Most desires are not based on truth.
Let’s go back to the beginning: Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree [was] good for food, and that it [was] pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make [one] wise, she took of the fruit and ate, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he ate. She was promised that she could be just like God, the opposite turn out to be the truth.
7. And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they [were] naked; and sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons. What a surprise … the very thing they discovered was they had a problem … they never had one before they followed false desires.
8. And they heard the voice of the LORD GOD walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden. They were even afraid to talk with God, who had been their good friend they were supposed to be equal to Him … they were further from Him, not closer.
The serpent lied. He generated a desire where God said there should be no desire. They didn’t get what they thought they would receive. The price wasn’t worth the cost.
God also made a law about what not to desire … it was the ten commandment (Exodus 20:17). You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant nor his female servant, nor his ox nor donkey nor anything that is your anything neighbor’s.
The only reason that a person desires something else is because it is perceived as being better. Comparing wives or husbands, houses and cars, kids and incomes will only lead to trouble.
When something better is offered, then that which is held loses its value and discontentment arises.
Many people are looking for fulfillment by getting bigger and better things, but it never works. Your life is what you make of it with what you have … not through desiring something that someone else has.
The aim of advertising is to convince you that you are lacking and your life will be better if you buy a particular product or own the trappings of success. The only conclusion you can draw is if you cannot afford these items … then you will never be happy or successful. Who can afford happiness in this world?
Don’t dwell on the desires of the sinful nature.
Romans 13:13. Let us walk honestly, as in the day; not in rioting and drunkenness, not in chambering (immorality) and wantonness (excessive desires), not in strife and envying.
What do you own that has given you true happiness that has never changes?
14. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts. If you comprehend what you have in the Holy Spirit then you will realize that you already own everything that is worth anything. Adam and Eve were blind to their real happiness and contentment, we can learn from their errors.
Take control of your desires … don’t take the bait and end up in the Satan’s frying pan!
Ephesians 3:14. For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15. Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16. That he would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man; 17. That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye be rooted and grounded in love,
18. May be able to comprehend with all saints what [is] the breath, and length and depth, and height; 19. And to know the love of Christ, which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
20. Now to him who is able to do exceedingly and abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us. God can give you more than you are capable of asking for … he loves to do it.
Let’s be encouraged to build up our desires in spiritual matters and watch God provide them. Your desires be always be where your heart is … keep your heart in the right place and you won’t end up in the mess the world is in. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.